Friday, October 14, 2011

Dennis Ritchie: The Shoulders Steve Jobs Stood On

Dennis Ritchie: The Shoulders Steve Jobs Stood On.

Another great loss. Dennis Ritchie was the father of the C Programming Language and the UNIX operating system, which pretty much the entire Internet and computer industry run on.

I'm writing this on a Macbook Air running Mac OS X, a UNIX-based system, and programs mostly written in C.

His book "The C Programming Language" was my first Computer Science book. My first serious encounter with software was a 2-week job to teach the C language to a team of programmers. I was just trying to make enough money to go on vacation, but then I got hooked and decided that I wanted to be a C coder... Feeling sad today.

#include <stdio.h>

main() {
  printf("goodbye, world\n");
}


Thank You Sir. RIP.

No comments:


The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent positions, strategies or opinions of my employer IBM.